News

Glass bottle

3rd May 2021

back

RECYCLABILITY:

Sorting your bottles allows them to be recycled into new bottles!

Glass is a reusable and recyclable material. It can be recycled over and over again to make new bottles, without any loss of quality.

CARBON FOOTPRINT:

Glass bottles represent a major part of the carbon footprint of the Bordeaux wine industry: between 15 and 20%. Their production and transport are very energy intensive.

You can reduce your impact on the environment by choosing lighter bottles and/or those with a high percentage of recycled glass.

At Château Brown, our bottles of fine red wine contain 85% recycled glass.

In concrete terms, the manufacture of bottles from recycled glass reduces the use of fossil fuels and greenhouse gas emissions linked to the transport and direct processing of the glass.

LOCAL MANUFACTURING & ORIGIN OF RAW MATERIALS:

The bottles for our fine red wine are made in VAYRES in Gironde by the company OI-France.

They therefore contain 85% recycled glass (known as cullet) In the remaining 15%, there is a very high proportion of sand from MARCHEPRIME in Gironde. Glass is made from a very pure sand (called silica).
A very small part of the extraction or processing of other glass components (such as soda ash) takes place abroad.

About the packaging used for second wines: the bottles were replaced with lighter bottles from 2015 onwards. This was a significant move that reduced the company’s carbon footprint as this change represents 30g less glass per bottle, or more than a tonne less of glass depending on the vintage’s production levels. Specifically, this means that contributions to the greenhouse effect have been reduced by the equivalent of 5,400 km of travel by light vehicle for every 30,000 bottles produced.

back